4.03.2014

Easter Menu - Help!

As I mentioned last week, I'm planning our first Easter dinner at home this year. I'm working to narrow down a menu. So far, I know we will be having ham (I've never cooked a big old chunk of meat - any tips?) I'm definitely thinking boneless, spiral sliced with a yummy glaze. Do you have any brand of ham that you swear by? Is it wrong that I'm more excited about using the leftover ham in my favorite Funeral Rolls the next day than I am about having the actual ham on Easter?


And you can't have ham without having macaroni and cheese...well, you can, but why would you want to? This is my favorite go to recipe for macaroni and cheese, and I think that I will be able to put it all together ahead of time and bake just before serving, which will help.


I'll also add green beans and maybe this Strawberry Fluff Salad, since I think Elise will like it. I may sub cheesecake flavored pudding for a richer flavor. Do you have any other fruit or fluff salad that you usually serve for holiday meals?


Of course some bread, since that is the way to the Rev's heart...the man loves a crescent roll...and his little girl LOVES helping roll them up. Bread is usually her dinner duty, she is an expert biscuit placer!

And of course, we will need dessert, and I'm coming up blank....WOW ME! I need yummy, but with little fuss, what have you got? And what are you eating for Easter?


4 comments:

Jill said...

We seem to be on the same wavelength this week... I can't stop thinking about Easter dinner! I've offered to have it at my house this year, but my mom will still do most of the cooking. We discussed our menu at length yesterday! A few weeks ago, I was allll about the turkey dinner, but as Easter approaches (and this winter drags on and on!!), the less I want turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy and stuffing. My mouth is craving fresh, clean summer tastes! My suggestion was ham, a few salads (potato, colesaw, etc), pickles & cheese, deviled eggs - but to please the menfolk (who aren't so big on the salads around here), we've decided to go with ham, scalloped potatoes, sweet & sour meatballs, baked beans, and a few salads. And buns. Dessert is yet to be determined, but I'm still seriously considering tackling that Hummingbird Cake I pinned yesterday. Other favourite Easter desserts around here are no bake cheesecake, pineapple upside down cake, and carrot cake.

Oh my gosh, I can't stop thinking about it! I'm so excited for Easter this year!! OH - and I just pinned the funeral sandwiches, had never heard of them before but I hope we have leftover ham so I can try them out too! haha!

Cynthia said...

I make a vanilla mousse cheescake that is easy and delicious. I found the recipe in a Philadelphia cream cheese magazine add. I was always afraid of making cheescake, bur you put the mousse on top of the cooked cake, so it doesn't matter if it cracks! I've served it many times, and people always rave about it!! I have also made it with "light" cream cheese and it turned out fine. And, you can make it a day or more in advance - it freezes really well!
the link: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/philadelphia-vanilla-mousse-cheesecake-115039.aspx

Have a Happy Easter!!

Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

Ham is a go to for our meals for Easter. Deviled eggs, fruit salad... very light food....

Have you ever had dirt cake? Its with oreos and layers of fun-- you could top it with cute cupcake topper type or banner or even random little candy eggs on top. I made mine with actual chocolate cake and oreos mixed together. Its super yum.

Crud, now I need to get planning with our Easter.
Are you mailing out Eggs again? Or what can we do that is the the new thing?

Emmy said...

Okay you are making me hungry! I love Easter dinner as I love ham and potatoes and rolls and just everything that goes with the dinner