10.06.2015

Tipsy Tuesday (#329)

We are smack in the middle of birthday party prep for Elise ( I REFUSE to believe that she will be 3 this Sunday!). Anyway, apples with various yummy dips are on the menu...

Tip #329

so these tips for cutting apples ahead of time and keeping them from browning are right on time!

1. Soak them in a bowl of cold lemon water. This is better than squeezing the lemon juice directly on the fruit, unless you don't mind the fruit tasting really lemony. Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per 1 cup of water.

2. Soak them in a bowl of cold salt water. Not too much salt, or it affects the taste of the fruit. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt per 1 quart (4 cups) of water. 

3. Soak them in a bowl of Sprite, 7-Up, or a similar lemon-lime, carbonated soda. (Note: Most soft drinks contains artificial ingredients and high-fructose corn syrup, so this isn't the healthiest option...but it works.)

4. Soak them in a bowl with Fruit-Fresh (or citric acid powder) and cold water. Fruit Fresh is sold in stores with canning supplies. Use 1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh per 1 cup of water.

5. Soak them in a bowl of honey water. Use 2 tablespoons of honey per 1 cup of water. This tip is from America's Test Kitchen; you can watch their video here.

I think that I am going to try #2, so we don't add any extra sugar to the apples (I hope my nutritionist reads that, she will be so proud!).

1 comment:

Jill said...

Ohhhh how I wish I could eat apples :( I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, which is kind of a complicated "syndrome" to explain, but basically certain fruits/veggies/nuts take on the characteristics of a pollen I'm allergic to. So even though I'm not eating that pollen, my body THINKS I am, and it reacts. Itchy tongue and lips, closed up throat, terrible heartburn when I eat raw apples. And I used to love raw apples. That said - if the fruit is cooked or altered in anyway, then I'm OK. (yay for apple pie! hee hee!)