We are smack in the middle of birthday party prep for Elise ( I REFUSE to believe that she will be 3 this Sunday!). Anyway, apples with various yummy dips are on the menu...
so these tips for cutting apples ahead of time and keeping them from browning are right on time!
1. Soak them in a bowl of cold lemon water. This is better than squeezing the lemon juice directly on the fruit, unless you don't mind the fruit tasting really lemony. Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per 1 cup of water.
2. Soak them in a bowl of cold salt water. Not too much salt, or it affects the taste of the fruit. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt per 1 quart (4 cups) of water.
3. Soak them in a bowl of Sprite, 7-Up, or a similar lemon-lime, carbonated soda. (Note: Most soft drinks contains artificial ingredients and high-fructose corn syrup, so this isn't the healthiest option...but it works.)
4. Soak them in a bowl with Fruit-Fresh (or citric acid powder) and cold water. Fruit Fresh is sold in stores with canning supplies. Use 1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh per 1 cup of water.
5. Soak them in a bowl of honey water. Use 2 tablespoons of honey per 1 cup of water. This tip is from America's Test Kitchen; you can watch their video here.
I think that I am going to try #2, so we don't add any extra sugar to the apples (I hope my nutritionist reads that, she will be so proud!).