4.23.2015

DIY Household Cleaners


I'd like to tell you that I use DIY cleaners because they are better for the environment, but the truth is I am cheap and they are better for my wallet! Here are the cleaners that work well for us:

Super Laundry Sauce - I cannot say enough about this one! In the past 10 months, I have only had to make 3 batches of this at a cost of $1.76 per batch. I use a generous tablespoon per load of laundry (we do about 3 loads per week), so I average about 55-60 loads of laundry per batch. It is just a very good clean smell, and the Rev likes a little more fragrance, so I do add an In-Wash Scent Booster (whatever is on sale), but even with that I am still saving tons in this area.

DIY Febreze - Grab a spray bottle, add 2 tablespoons of fabric softener (any kind), 2 tablespoons of baking soda, and fill with water. Shake it up and you are ready to go! Your cost will be about 15 cents per bottle, depending on the cost of your fabric softener. Huge savings!


Stain Remover - A mixture of 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide to 1 part Dawn dish detergent and you are done. I store this in an old stain remover bottle. I don't like to spray it because it makes me cough to breathe it in, but for soaking on a stain, it can't be beat. We have rescued 3 pair of muddy pants that I thought were sure goners using this!

All-Purpose Orange Cleaner - Eat some oranges (or other citrus!), collect the peels in a jar or pitcher, cover with white vinegar (I use cleaning vinegar found in the cleaning supplies section), and let sit for 2 weeks. Discard the peels and pour the remaining liquid in a spray bottle and you are finished. Great for wiping down counters (not recommended for marble or granite), cabinets, and other hard surfaces.

DIY Dishwasher Detergent - All ingredients that can be readily found at the store - washing soda, baking soda, LemiShine, and sea salt - combine to make this detergent. I have had some clumping of the detergent in my storage container, so I'll add one of those little disks that you use in brown sugar to prevent clumping, like she suggests.

Next on my list to try: Homemade Clorox Wipes

Do you make any of your own cleaners? Have one to share?

No comments: