2.05.2013

Tipsy Tuesday (#201)

It's a sickly time of year and unfortunately. according to a survey, it takes an average of 21 days to get an appointment with a doctor...

Tip #201

try one of these tricks to get an earlier appointment and get on the road to healthy faster!
  • Instead of saying that you don't feel well, be very specific about your ailment. Being more descriptive alerts the nurse that you need to be seen sooner rather than later and makes it more likely that the office will work you into an emergency slot.
  • Instead of saying you are a new patient, mention who referred you to the practice. Sometimes it really is about who you know!
  • Instead of relying soley on the doctor, request an appointment with the nurse practitioner or the physician's assistant. They can usually see you sooner and if your condition is beyond their scope, they'll call your doctor in to see you.
**Alright now, I'm talking tips, head over to see what Impulsive and Shawn are talking about on Talk to us Tuesday!**

8 comments:

Connie said...

Our doctors office has been CRAZY busy! I don't know if any of those tips would get me in.

Jill said...

I don't think those tips would work here, either... When I make an appointment, it's generally a three-month wait. It's crazy here - generally, if it's something serious, we go to the ER or clinic, because waiting for the doctor is impossible!!! When my friend found out she was expecting, she called for an appt and they were giving her one for 3 months away. She was like, "Um, that would put me at almost 5 months pregnant. I need in sooner." They made it work, but it was a struggle. Crazy, right?!

Anonymous said...

I go to a practice that's loaded with PA's and doctors so even though it takes me weeks to see my regular doc I'm able to see anyone else that's on staff when I'm sick. They keep insisting I try to hold out for my regular one though because I have a complicated medical situation and I think I confuse everyone.

Impulsive Addict said...

Since I live in HELL, I don't even have a medical doctor. I call my OBGYN for everything! Weird? Probably. But she loves me. If I'm sick, she calls me in some meds. I've heard bad things about doctors in this town. However, I will take these tips with me to my NEW town. My best friend is also a PA so she helps a sister out on occasion too.

Thanks for linking up! It's almost my naptime! =)

Anonymous said...

Those are great tips, I need to keep them in mind.

Emmy said...

Oh great tips! And I hate trying to get my kids into the dr such a pain sometimes

Shawn said...

I just switched doctors a few months ago and the only reason I got in was because my parents are patients there. Name dropping does help sometimes.

Thanks for linking up with us!

Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

we have a good dr. for the kids and feel like no matter how busy they are, they see us. My kids have been sick lately- and I'm surprised I haven't caught any of it. Stay healthy my friend!