11.13.2012

Tipsy Tuesday (#191)

In preparation for next week's big meal...

Tip #191

Put this simple tip to use if you are trying to control portions on Thanksgiving: serve yourself rather than letting others serve you.

Studies show that people tend to dish out a bigger helping to others than they do to themselves, fine for the salad course, but a problem when dessert time rolls around. Slice your own piece of pie and keep it to 1 1/2 inches at the crust end. If you happen to be handed a huge serving by some well-meaning relative, split it with someone.

**Alright now, I'm talking tips, head over to see what Impulsive and Shawn are talking about on Talk to us Tuesday!** 

5 comments:

Jill said...

See, now, this is an issue for me... I have such a hard time with portion control, even when it's for myself... *sigh*

So jealous that you guys get your Thanksgiving now and ours is a distant memory!!!

becca said...

i'm so not good with portions at all

Julie from Momspective said...

If possible, use a smaller plate too. It'll look full but you might be eating less!

Sarah Kate {Dixie Creek Farm} said...

This tip doesn't take into account grandmothers that never think you eat enough and will continue heaping food on your plate until every dish is practically licked clean. :o) Tell me that's not just my family.

Shawn said...

I totally agree with this. When I'm serving others I slice huge pieces then cut myself a sliver. I usually go back for the other half of my piece though so I guess it really is no benefit.

How's that sweet baby?

Thanks for linking up with us!